Keisuke Tonkotsu King

After falling in love with the younger brother of Tonkotsu King, Tori King, I resolved to make this needed conparison - Chicken or Pork. I had to taste what made Keisuke famous in the first place! 

One weekday lunch, I dashed out of office earlier to queue in line at Orchid Hotel, just outside of Tanjong Pagar MRT station. Before noon, there was already a snaking queue. But don't worry, as with Tori King, the queue moves fairly quickly. 


Choosing the Standard variant, for a fair comparison, I ordered the Original, with the Softboiled Egg, Charsiew (Pork Loin), Seaweed. 

The broth was tasty, but it just didn't blow me away like I had thought it would.... A tad too mirky for my liking. Perhaps they had not taken care in the straining, or had stirred the bone matter into the broth. Or the fat content/levels of the pork bone was not controlled, allowing the collagen from the fat to mix with the soup.

The Charsiew was alright, nothing fantastic to jump about. Marutama in my opinion is better... It was a bit overdone, where the lean of the meat was dry and tougher then other places. 

The softboiled egg was standard, firm on the outside and soft on the inside. But it did not give me the feeling of delicateness and mastery that the Japanese are known for. It felt "textbook". 

Overall experience was unfortunately disappointing. The Ramen was good, but for all the hype and the long queue - not worth it. Whilst Tori King is still fresh, I suggest you cross the street to Amara Hotel and eat there instead. Otherwise, try Marutama Ramen at The Central. 


Keisuke Tonkotsu King @ Orchid Hotel
1 Tras Link #01-19, Orchid Hotel, Singapore 078867
Tel: +65 66360855

Opening Hours
Daily 11:30am-3pm, 6pm-10:30pm

Comments

Popular Posts